Thursday, February 28, 2008

Questions and Comments


We plan on regularly taking some time to answer starred questions you guys ask in a short post every once in a while. Here's our first edition!

Questions and Comments:

Fletch wrote,
"Though I don't know how fair the analogy of a six-year old is, it's certainly fair to say that Obama lacks a lot of experience in leadership positions. However, isn't the simplest (and best) defense of this to ask what and how all that experience has helped Bush? Is it really necessary? It's hard to say going in - it's not as if there is a class to take, unless you count being a governor, which sounds valid enough to me.

Nevertheless, I'll be voting Obama in the fall with a clear conscience. Perhaps a lack of experience is what is neeeded - I can't anticipate it being worse."


Valid point that Obama's capabilities probably are not as ill suited to the Presidency as a six year old's to Toys 'R Us. However, I do believe that experience being a leader helps people be better leaders. The first time one gives a speech will probably not be the best time.

JerseyJack wrote:
"Hi this is Jerseyjack21 from my view I saw your comment and I came to your blog and I was wondering how you got the digg.com block to show up because i've tried it and it does not work. Please respond.
jerseyjack21@gmail.com"



Of course. If you go to Digg.com and go to the bottom you should see some text and images. Look for a digg tools link. It's pretty self explanatory from there, just click on the image with the desired button and they have instructions. We sent this to you on via email a couple days ago, also.


Ruby Wrote:
"The primitive man vs elk is a bad analogy. Firstly, what we regard as morals are a modern day pehenomena. Ethics, like all other aspects of humans, evolved. Thus, the hunter-gatherer in your story would have felt no moral dilemna, his instinct would simply have taken over.

Secondly, even if you did apply modern day morality to the story, you overlooked one simple solution. Since the competition for the elk is, in your own words, very young and unlikely to have a family of his own, then why not share the elk? Surely, there would have have been enough elk to feed one more mouth?

Live and let live, my friend. Live and let live."


I believe you proved my point, friend. And managed to add a little humor!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I prove your point? You stated that western culture is superior to others and that the west should endeavour to 'westernise' other societies. I am trying to point out that it is not necessarily our place to do so and that perhaps it is best to allow other cultures to develop at their own pace regardless of how offensive they may be to us.

Your posts seem to indicate that we force them to bend to our will. How does that subscribe to the 'live and and let live ' mantra I wonder?

Friend.

Gnarlsbad Blog said...

What are you talking about? That post was about the nature of society and how humans form them!

jacques du'loque said...

I responded to your response to my response.

Funny thing, I once used both "In Cogito" and "Ergo Sum" as aliases, back when I prowled philosophy forums.

Something about the phrases simply amuses me.

Anonymous said...

Well when I read your comment on about why the stoning of a rape vicitm is offensive, I took that to be a direct criticism of Islamic culture/society. I also took into consideration your post on the call for a reform of Islam in Turkey where you were less than enthusiastic because you felt it wasn't enough. Sorry, was I wrong in assuming your posts were not about western superiority to Islam? I am not being antagonistic here, that really is how I read them. But maybe I'm jumping the gun and assuming things that aren't there. If that's the case then just ignore me.

Anyway, I think your comment on how we form societies might be accurate for western society but probably is less for other more tribal cultures such as Islam.
I know you have a low regard for moral relativism but I subscribe to Einstein's point of view. It's all relative!

Anonymous said...

Just looking around

No customers